Tagliamonte takes inspiration from the ancient Romans in these 18K Vermeil over 925 Sterling Silver Venetian cameo earrings. They feature two types of cameos: one in a cobalt blue, oval Venetian glass with the image of Medusa, a symbol of power and protection and the other in gold plate depicting another face of Medusa. The cameos are separated by a column that has a fresh water cultured Pearl at each end and a Chrysophrase cabochon in the center. Wear these earrings and feel a grand sense of power!
Medusa was once a beautiful young woman with a head of glorious hair, envied by most. She was a priestess of Minerva (Athena - goddess of wisdom and war). In pledging herself to the goddess, Medusa’s life was no longer her own. This meant that her life path was determined for her. One aspect of this service was that Minerva required that all of her priestesses maintain a vow of chastity. Therefore, Medusa could not have a family, a dream that many young women held. However, Neptune (Poseidon - god of the sea) instantly took notice of Medusa’s great beauty. With no thought of the consequences, Neptune seduced Medusa. As anyone would expect, this greatly angered Minerva, leading her to curse Medusa. Instead of taking her vengeance out on Neptune, Minerva directed her wrath on Medusa only. In modern times, we would see this as "victim shaming." It is likely that Medusa would have been an early member of the "#Me Too" movement. The old adage that history is doomed to repeat itself seems to be true in this case. Have we made so little progress? For the full story, Read my Blog, "Medusa, Member of the '#Me Too' Movement or Truly a Monster?"Details:
- Stone Information: (2) Venetian glass cameos; (4) 4mm natural fresh water cultured Pearls; (2) 4mm Chrysophrase cabochons
- Note: Due to the hand-blown nature of Venetian glass, small bubbles may be present.
- Metal: 18K Vermeil over 925 Sterling Silver
- Earring Measurements: 2-1/8"L x 1"W
- Weight: 11.2 grams
- Fastening: Shepherd's hook with safety
- Brand: Tagliamonte: All Tagliamonte designs are hand made.
- Country of Origin: Italy
- Authentic Markings: Yes
- Warranty Information: Each genuine piece of Tagliamonte jewelry comes with a romance card and a one-year warranty provided the piece has not been altered or tampered with. It will be repaired at no charge during this period. I have been working with Nino Tagliamonte since 1995 and handle all Customer Care for Tagliamonte Vicenza in the United States as well as some other areas in the world. You can feel very confident with any purchase you make from me. If you have any questions, please contact me.
- 20% of all proceeds goes to support the Maria Pearl Memorial Fund for high school senior scholarships for seniors seeking a future in the teaching profession. Maria Pearl passed away at the young age of 16 from an AVM which is similar to a brain aneurysm. Her story is that of a beautiful girl who sought to make a difference in the lives of others in some way, every day of her life.