This necklace is a new design for Tagliamonte. The cabochon style cameo is another gorgeous piece for collectors. It is made of 18K Vermeil over Sterling Silver. The necklace has a large round Venetian glass cameo with the figure of and the angel, Nyx holding 2 babies. The cameo is a soft Citrine color. Below the cameo is a cluster of Lapis Lazuli beads and Rice pearls. A chain has been included.
Are you familiar with Nyx? She was the goddess of the night, an ancient deity, who emerged at the dawn of creation. In art, she is depicted as either a winged goddess or charioteer. She is the personification of the night and represents slumber. In this cameo you see an angel, who appears to be floating in the sky, carrying two sleeping babies, one on each shoulder. Is there anything more comforting than the feel of an infant resting in a complete sleep against your shoulder? In the lower right corner, you see an owl in flight, another representation of the night. The opposite of Nyx, was Hemera who represented the day and scattered the mists of night at dawn.
The original artwork is by Bertel Throvaldsen (1815). Difficult to see in the cameo is that Nyx has poppies entwined in her hair. An interesting note is that there is a strong connotation with the poppy’s medicinal use for inducing sleep throughout the centuries. Ancient sources outline that the sleep-inducing properties of the opium poppy were well known even before Greco-Roman medicine.
- Stone Information: (1) Venetian glass cameo; (Multi) Rice Pearls; (Multi) Lapis Lazuli Beads
- Note: Due to the hand blown nature of Venetian glass, small bubbles may be present.
- Metal: 18K Vermeil over 925 Sterling Silver
- Measurements: Pendant: 2-5/8" x 1-1/2"; Chain: 18" long
- Weight: 28.2 grams
- Fastening: Lobster claw
- Brand: Tagliamonte: All Tagliamonte designs are hand made.
- Country of Origin: Italy
- Authentic Markings: Yes
- Warranty Information: Each genuine piece of Tagliamonte jewelry comes with a romance card and a one-year warranty provided the piece has not been altered or tampered with. It will be repaired at no charge during this period. I have been working with Nino Tagliamonte since 1995 and handle all Customer Care for Tagliamonte Vicenza in the United States as well as some other areas in the world. You can feel very confident with any purchase you make from me. If you have any questions, please contact me.
- 20% of all proceeds goes to support the Maria Pearl Memorial Fund for high school senior scholarships for seniors seeking a future in the teaching profession. Maria Pearl passed away at the young age of 16 from an AVM which is similar to a brain aneurysm. Her story is that of a beautiful girl who sought to make a difference in the lives of others in some way, every day of her life.